Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Coming Home to Georgetown... remembering food

Georgetown's homecoming is about two weeks away... As a student there, coming from Oklahoma, I considered McDonald's cheeseburgers a treat (the closest one is so far away!) but I did manage to have several culinary experiences... I remember:

- dessert-only trips to Bistro Francais, for their strawberries and raspberries in sabayon...
- california chicken sandwiches on a croissant from Wisey's (seemed so sophisticated on a croissant!) or of course the Chicken Maddness (no peppers for me)
- the first time I ever had crab rangoon, from Hunan Peking. Sitting on my dorm floor being introduced to chinese delivery (they didn't deliver in oklahoma back then!) and lemon chicken
- first eggs benedict, possibly first brunch experience ever at Daily Grill (Martin's Tavern also good!)
- going out to I Ricchi on the medieval studies department tab to wine and dine our internationally recognized guest speaker! I wore my easter dress... we were early, my friend Kristin, a senior at the time, marched up to the bar and asked the bartender what he recommended. I, a junior, was not carded... the bartender told us he'd invented a drink, based on the bellini, called the carnevale... raspberry puree and champagne. mmm... That night was also the only time I've ever seen someone order from the "special" wine list (not the department! one of the guests treated)
- on a diet which consisted mostly of individual frozen pizzas, kraft mac n' cheese, and salad... learning to cook on my own. My first recipe - spaghetti aio e olio.
- being taken to 1789 by a then-boyfriend and ordering (then my favorite food) caesar salad... and being served whole romaine leaves. (Do I cut them with my knife?? do I try and fold them up so I can shove the whole thing in my mouth?? I didn't think you were supposed to cut your salad...!)
- crab and artichoke dip at the Tombs. !!
- being taken to Cafe Milano by my thesis advsior with friends and other profs to celebrate graduation/thesis end. It was the day Michael Camille died. I was introduced to carpaccio - they insisted I try it. thinly sliced raw beef, arugula, parmesean, lemon. It is now, still, my favorite food.
- two filet mignons! with sauce at Nathans
- my first grape-leaves wrapped whatnot at Bistro Med, trying to impress first date Matt with my culinary adventurousness... didn't work. Ew. Chewing slower and slower... swallow... erugh. Still don't like olive tapenade, either. (Good opportunity for Matt to promise to take me out somewhere else next time!)
- Cheese sampling at Dean and Deluca for my dad's birthday present
- Chai from Uncommon grounds - late nights with Kristin in the leavey center
- snooty sandwiches and a glass of white wine for outdoor lunch at Peacock Cafe
- my first coffee.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I like how "au pied du cochon" can't qualify for this list as it stipulates "food" which, even with the quote marks, I'm not sure that place ever had.

They did have beer though ... oh yes.

Meels said...

LOL!

You know I tried to think of a culinary experience there, just to be thorough... did they have french fries?? I only remember going there once with Alex Diaz & some of his friends late... late (early?). I also remember sitting in that seat that the russian guy sat in. But I can't remember anything - anything at all - about the food.