Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I feel like kidneys should come with a warning

ARG. Sometimes Italy can be so truly awful! (Or perhaps offal...!) OK, so we go to the restaurant now occupying the location which was formerly Il Primoli. Antipasto della casa - fine, lots of bowls of different veggies in marinades and such. Fun, whatever. I'm speaking Italian with the waiter, understanding things, everything is going well. Then I order for a secondi Lamb with Roast Potatoes. The menu says this in three languages - Agnello con Patate Arroste, Lamb with Roast Potatoes, and whatever it is in German. I ask them to split it for the two of us. We end up each with an unidentifiable bony chunk - I cut into what looks like the only piece of real meat and it is, no shit, a kidney. I mean like, it's a cross section from an anatomy book, but cooked (incidentally, overcooked) and on my plate. With a tuby ureter attached, oh yes. That, with the bones and some stringly lower back meat, comes to 15 euro, please. Thanks.

No comments: