Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Domestic Goddess Initiation: Snickerdoodles

These are from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess baking book. They're more doughnut-y (she has nutmeg in them!) than cookie-y, and very delicious.



Unfortunately I think her recipe is off a bit - the dough was way too dry and next time I will add less flour (something in the translation from the UK to US version, I suspect). But I still served them, warm, with sugared strawberries and creme fraiche.

Domestic Goddesshead, here I come!

***********NIGELLA UPDATE
So I wrote in an email complaining that the dough was too dry through her website, and got this reply - it's not Ms. Lawson herself, but sure enough, there's a missing tablespoon of butter. (interestingly, also extra sugar!)

Dear Amelia,
Let me give you the English version, though translated by Nigella now into cups and so forth, and see if that helps. Since Domestic Goddess, she has always insisted on providing the American quantities herself, whereas up to and including DG, the US publishers 'translated' from the metric version themselves.

One and two thirds cups flour
Half teasp ground nutmeg
three quarters teasp baking powder
half teasp salt
One stick plus one tablespoon butter
half a cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 large egg
1 teasp vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Good luck!
Admin

No comments: