Monday, December 19, 2005

The Drew Barrymore Dress

OK Everyone... it's finally happened.

I've updated my blog. AND - I'll be posting wedding things here. I would appreciate everyone's feedback!

Soooooo... I love this dress. Love Love Love.


love.



The backstory - this dress appeared in the April 2005 Vogue with Drew Barrymore on the cover, featured in a "Beauty and the Beast" spread. So I, loving fairy tale dresses and also Drew Barrymore, bought it. And kept it. And thought, one day, just maybe one day, I might need a fluffy pink princess dress.

Well and now I'm engaged. :)

The sitch - I ran this picture by my professor-slash-dressmaker. She said A) that it was very easy to make - just a lot of piece work and finishing, but basically big rectangles, and that B) I would have to use very high quality fabric (silk organza with a satin core) in just the right colors, or else it would go from gorgeous to gaudy.

The problem - She estimated a cost of $2,000. (one for the fabric and the other for the dressmaker.)

Heart Broken. Thoughts?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yay! A wedding blog!! It's scary how excited I am about this...

So ... wsa your dressmaker going to make up the pattern herself?? Because that's probably what's making it extra expensive. Also, you don't want to skimp on fabric, but seriously how many yards of silk organza do you need? I can't imagine you'd need $1000 worth.

Denver Fabrics has it for about $10 a yard. Granted, you'll probably want to go somewhere to pick out just the right colors. But I can't imagine it going over $20 a yard.
Here are Denver Fabrics Organza options

Also, it's unclear to me what you want to bodice of the dress to look like given that picture. Perhaps you could find a few more pics that also give an idea of what you want??

Meels said...

hmmm... interesting. maybe I'll run it by her. She was going to do a pattern, but she offered to do that for me for free. I don't think she wants to do the dress, because she's afraid I'll hate her afterward -- I got an earful at our latest prof/student dinner about how women are always disappointed in their wedding dresses because it never quite matches what's in their head.

Yes, the picture is quite small so it's hard to see. It's a strapless empire waist, about 2 layers of fabric, the outer one of which is ruffled artfully over the boobs. But I'm not against other types of tops - maybe I'll find some!